The Balcony is an artist collective based in The Hague (NL). The collective organizes exhibitions in two locations in The Hague, a vitrine space and a project space.
Its current members are Ioana Ciora (RO), Arthur Cordier (BE), Matthew James Lanning (NL) and Valentino Russo (IT).
Starting January 2020, graphic design is by Eva Rank (EE).
Curatorial line (Click for PDF)
Vitrine exhibition space - Herenstraat 14, The Hague (NL)
The vitrine space is part of Willem Bouman & Zn. a violins
shop and reparation atelier. The Balcony presents artists whose practice strongly engages with the vitrine, in relation to the public space and its 24/7 visibility.
The intuition leading the space is to present non-The Hague based artists - in priority, and to introduce their practice within the cultural context of the city.
The vitrine operates since March 2018.
Studio & project space - Laan van NOI, 125, The Hague (NL)
Susan Bites is the studio of the members of the collective, while hosting exhibitions in the basement rooms. The programing is unregular on purpose, to allow studio practice, screenings, and the organisation of exhibitions and events that best suit the artists.
The project space is running since February 2019.
- Frits Dijks. Hoogtij, de geschiedenis van de Haagse rondgang – deel 2
- March 2019. City report The Hague
- Frits Dijks. New in town: Susan Bites
- Cathleen Owens. A contaminated travel guide to Verona and beyond
- Frits Dijks. Opening highlights Den Haag
- Frits Dijks. John van Oers @ The Balcony
- Frits Dijks. Kunstenaar springt van balkon
- Villa Next Door
- Bertus Pieters. Martin Gabriel, non beton place; The Balcony.